If the Mayans got it wrong, we’ll all be around for yet another New Year’s celebration. I love spending that evening at North Square because while it is festive (yeah, we’ve got your sparkly blowers and funny hats and ladies and gentlemen dressed to the nines)…it also has a mellow, come-as-you-are vibe. The crowd is friendly and the food is just what you want eat to kiss the previous year goodbye. Plus no one will ever, ever ask you what your New Year’s resolution is because, frankly, that would be a big ole’ buzz kill and we like to have fun.
This year’s specials sound scrumptious. Chef Cruz’s appetizers include:
- Lobster bisque garnished with tarragon creme fraiche
- Roasted tomato soup garnished with grilled shrimp and crisp potatoes
- Seared foie gras with roasted apples and a pomegranate sauce
The entrees are equally decadent:
- Roasted wild boar with braised red cabbage, apples, fingerling potatoes and a ginger port sauce
- Surf and turf with creamed spinach, garlic mashed potatoes and a black truffle sauce.
- Grilled veal chop (to die for) with mushroom risotto, tomato chutney, and a red wine and herb au jus.
And Consulting Pastry Chef John Cheng has come up with an insane cap to the meal with Dessert Fantasy Trio 2013…a salted chocolate caramel banana tart, molten chocolate cake and a trio of ice creams.
Hey…holidays are designed for excess. You can always diet next year, right?