1. We’ve got heirloom tomatoes and chillies and herbs, oh my!
2. It’s a family thing. The garden, dubbed Jake’s Rooftop Garden, was named after owner Judy Paul‘s granddad, Jacob.
3. It’s an herb thing. Seventeen of them to be exact, including three varieties of thyme (English, silver and lemon) and two each of sage (garden green and golden) and oregano (Mexican and Italian). They’re used both in the restaurant (Thai basil in the lobster and crab cakes) and the lounge (mint
juleps, because we’re in Southern Manhattan y’all.)
4. It’s a local thing. All the chillies, herbs and tomatoes are locally sourced from Oak Grove Plantation in New Jersey and Binder Farm and Atlantic Nursery, both in Long Island.
5. If you thought Chef Cruz’s food was yummy before….well, you ain’t tasted nothing yet. Farm-to-table scrumptious.